Wednesday, July 17, 2019

The Next Generation: Part 10



==========
July 7th, 2019
Miami, Florida
Off Camera
==========

Glory Braddock’s living room in Miami, Florida is a gorgeous, sleek modern design.  It is also clean; almost to perfection with barely a spot and even if one exists, it isn’t noticeable.  The cream colored sofa is soft, comfortable, and plush.  It is situated in front of a large flat screen television mounted on the wall above a fireplace.  The fireplace does seem slightly out of place as it is the only piece in this living room that looks relatively traditional.  It isn’t used often; this is Miami, after all.  Glory wanted it for its looks.  Another aspect of this living room is the tension that is contained within.  You could cut it with a knife, as they say…

The British Bombshell sits with her husband Kurt Logan on the sofa.  Kurt is wearing a plain white t-shirt and denim jeans while his lovely wife is dressed a little nicer in a pink skirt that falls to just below her knees, pink high heeled patent leather pumps, and a white silk blouse.  The reason for the tension sits in a plush red leather chair a few feet away, perpendicular from the fireplace; Braddock’s eighteen year old daughter, Melinda.

Melinda is the oldest daughter of Glory Braddock.  The British Bombshell was pregnant with Melinda when she was sixteen, the result of a relationship between Glory and a fellow student at the Glenn Braddock Wrestling School.  As if teenage pregnancy and early motherhood wasn’t enough, The British Bombshell also got involved with alcohol and drugs at an early age.  Needless to say, she did get cleaned up and turned her life around, but one could also argue that the apple isn’t falling too far from the tree.

Her daughter has been caught in some unsavory practices; getting dead drunk at a party, petty theft, and she, like her mother when she was her age, got into a relationship with a student at the Braddock Wrestling School; a boy named Clyde Sutter.

Glory hopes to address all of this today; she hopes to deal with this and resolve her daughter’s problems once and for all.  And yet, while this list of offenses on the part of Melinda is quite large, there is still one more major problem on the mind of Glory Braddock that she wants addressed…

“How long has Matthew been training you?”

Back in April Melinda Braddock brought up the possibility of becoming a professional wrestler and following in her mother’s footsteps.  Unfortunately for the younger Braddock, Glory didn’t want to hear anything of this.  As a matter of fact, Glory outright forbade Melinda from training to become a wrestler.

Most outside observers could understand the concern of a parent who doesn’t want their child to enter a full contact sport like professional wrestling.  It is a dangerous sport and you risk injury every time to step into the ring. Glory knows this better than anyone and not just because of her own fair share of injuries during her career.  Glory’s own father, Glenn Braddock, suffered a career ending back injury.

That’s the last thing she wants to see happen to her beloved daughter.  And yet if you thought that Glory’s entire reasoning behind forbidding her daughter from training was based on the risk factor, then you would be wrong.

As her husband Kurt, friend Sophie O’Brian, and others dug deeper, past that first layer, it became evident that Glory Braddock wants to protect her daughter from having the business of wrestling “shoved down her throat”, as Glory put it, in the same way that it was shoved down her throat by her own father.

Yet recently Glory discovered that Melinda had been training secretly with Matthew Taylor, a professional wrestler whom Glory herself had grown up and trained with at the Braddock Wrestling School.

“Since April.”

Braddock’s eyes grow wide and quickly narrow in anger. “April?!  That’s when you told me you wanted to be a wrestler!”

“That’s right.” Melinda nods her head, affirming her mother’s suspicion.

“So you outright disobeyed me from the very start?!”

“Yeah, I have, because you trying to keep me from achieving my dreams is absolutely stupid!”

“Melinda!” Kurt exclaims. “Do not disrespect your mother.”

“Oh come on,” Melinda rolls her eyes “surely you understand what I’m trying to say?  I am eighteen years old.  I’m considered an adult now.  Surely you would be on my side!”

“I’m not on anyone’s side.” Kurt retorts. “And yes, you are eighteen, but if you want to be treated like an adult you should act like it and respect your mother.”

Kurt’s words are successful in quieting Melinda.  Glory Braddock, however, shoots her husband a nasty look.  She wasn’t happy with Kurt’s opening statement about how he’s not on anyone’s side. He should be on her side.  She is right after all…

...isn’t she?

“Thank you, Kurt.” Braddock remarks before turning her attention back to Melinda. “Now Melinda, you have to understand that rules are in place for a reason.  Rules are in place and we cannot just disobey them because we think they’re stupid.  Let’s say a judge releases a murder from prison and I go out and shoot that guy because I think he never should’ve been released from prison.  What do you think is going to happen to me?”

“You’re going to prison.  Duh,” Melinda rolls her eyes “but that’s a bit of an extreme example, don’t you think?”

“Fine, then how about an example from the sport you claim to want to become a part of?  Syren orchestrated a massive, multi-layered scheme all with the intention of framing Kennedy Street and inserting herself back into the world championship picture.  Now she’s surrounded herself with Ravyn, CHBK, and others, now with the goal of keeping the championship within their grasp.  If I went and started breaking the rules, if I pulled a scheme like theirs, whether its a plot to frame Syren or a I cheat like hell in my match at Rise To Greatness the way they do, wouldn’t that make me no better than them?”

There is a pause as Glory stares into her daughter’s eyes.  Finally the younger Braddock sighs and nods her head. “I suppose you’re right.”

“That’s what I’m trying to tell you.” Glory continues. “Rules are here for a reason; we may not always agree with them but they are there for a reason.”

“Well I definitely don’t agree with your rules.” Melinda snaps back with venom dripping from her voice.

“Hold your tongue.  I’m not finished, because I have done some thinking about all of this; I have been thinking about why I really am trying to keep you away from wrestling in the first place.” The British Bombshell sighs deeply and then pats herself on the chest. “I didn’t want to become a professional wrestler.  My dream wasn’t to follow in my father’s footsteps.  It was your grandfather’s dream that I follow in his footsteps and…”

Braddock’s voice trails off; this is difficult for her to say.  She does love her father, despite the tension that does exist between the two underneath the skin.  And she doesn’t like saying bad things about him.

“...and I didn’t want to force that dream of following in my footsteps and becoming a wrestler onto you, the same way he forced it onto me.  But I realize now that I have done just that, only in reverse.  I have been trying to force my dream of you never getting involved in this sport at all upon you.  I have been working my bloody ass off to try and force that onto you.  My father wouldn’t listen to me and let me choose my own path, and here I was failing to realize that you had chosen this path all by yourself.”

Some of the tension that existed earlier is starting to fade away.  It is replaced by a growing sense of excitement being felt primarily by Melinda Braddock, which is evident based upon the big grin on her face.

“Wait, are you saying I can continue training?  I can be a wrestler?”

“Yes, that’s what I’m saying.” Glory nods her head. “You can continue training with Matthew.  Or you can joint AnteUp, BlackOut Academy…”

“Or your school?” Melinda suggests.

Immediately Glory goes silent. She still has reservations about her daughter training at the Braddock School.  She doesn’t want anyone to think her daughter is getting preferential treatment and training at a school her mother owns would seemingly do just that.  Besides, training at a different facility might force her to learn other principles about life, especially if she has to pay for it herself and cannot lean on the Braddock family to fund it.  Still, the Braddock Wrestling School isn’t entirely out of the question.

“We’ll see, but that’s not all of it…” Glory’s voice trails off.

The young Melinda frowns as she studies her mother and braces for what may be coming next.  She has a pretty good idea as to what this is about.

“Melinda, you’ve been keeping a lot of secrets from Kurt and me.  Specifically regarding Clyde.”

“Oh mom!” Melinda exclaims.

“Don’t start.  Just tell me, how long have you been with Clyde?”

Uh…” Melinda pauses, hoping to buy time.  Her mother won’t let her have any.

“Answer the question.” Glory demands, raising her voice ever so slightly. “How long have you been seeing each other?”

“Um, since February.”

“So you’ve been keeping this a secret from us since February?”

Oh Lord,” Melinda rolls her eyes “so what if I did? Is it any business of yours?”

“Yes, actually, it is.” Glory nods her head. “We’re your parents.”

“So what?”

“So, we get a say in this, especially when your choice of boyfriend is a bad influence.”

“Clyde is not a bad influence!” Melinda exclaims.

“I’m with your mother on this one.” Kurt chimes in. “Most, if not all, of your bad behavior started after you started seeing him.”

“Kurt’s right.” Glory says, nodding her head. “And I saw firsthand the kind of person Clyde is.  He has ruthlessly assaulted his fellow students at the school.”

“You two are not being fair to Clyde!” Melinda exclaims again, hoping to get through to her mother.  Glory, however, is steadfast as she shakes her head.

“I’m sorry, Mel, but I forbid you from seeing Clyde again.”

“You can’t do that!” Melinda shoots up to her feet, her voice growing even louder.

“I just did.”

“Yeah?” Melinda answers back. “Well just try and stop me!”

Melinda runs off, past her parents and out of the room.  Glory attempts to get up and go after her but Kurt holds his arm to stop her.

“Hold on, Glory.  Let her be…”

“What?  Why?”

“Let her have some space.  For now.” He suggests. “Let her calm down and then we can go back and talk to her later.”

Braddock frowns as she ponders her husband’s suggestion.  Finally she nods her head. “Ok, I can wait.  But trust me, I’m going to do whatever I can to make sure she doesn’t see Clyde Sutter again.  He is nothing but bad news.”

“I agree, but if we’re not careful we may push her right into his arms.”

==========
July 10th, 2019
Nashville, TN
Off Camera
==========

It has been several days since Glory Braddock laid down the law to her daughter Melinda.  Thus far all seems to be well with no signs of any rebellious actions from the younger Braddock.  The British Bombshell hopes that what she said finally sunk in and that Melinda will obey the rules she has set forth, especially regarding Clyde Sutter.  Still, better to be safe than sorry, and thus Glory has continued to keep Melinda close by, including taking her on tour with her at the SCW House Shows and Breakdown events.

Clyde Sutter is a problem.  Braddock is ashamed that she didn’t catch it sooner.  She was even warned about him by Sophie O’Brian, who had witnessed firsthand how aggressive and violent he could get at the wrestling school, harming other students intentionally.  Glory didn’t want to believe it.  She wanted to believe the best of him.  That was until Braddock was there to witness Clyde destroy Sophie’s brother, Mark O’Brian.  Then to cap it all off, Glory caught Clyde alone after hours in the wrestling school with her daughter Melinda; both half-naked.  It was clear that intercourse was on their mind had Glory not shown up at that right time to break it up.

Braddock has booted Clyde from the school and has forbid Melinda from ever seeing him again.  She hopes that is the end of it so that she can focus on the matter of becoming SCW World Champion at Rise To Greatness.

It will be a triple threat match at Rise To Greatness between her, Alistaire Allocco, and SCW World Champion Syren.  The ultimate goal, as far as Glory Braddock is concerned, is to make sure Syren does not walk out with the championship.  Inserting herself into the match and making it a triple threat increases Syren’s odds of losing to two-thirds.  Still, in the back of her mind Glory would love to be the one to dethrone her.  Call it ego if you want, maybe it is ego, but Glory would be proud to hold the SCW World Championship high over her head in victory at the end of the night.

She must remained focus.  She cannot afford to be distracted at this point.

It’s a busy time backstage at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee where SCW Breakdown has just concluded.  The British Bombshell wasn’t in action tonight and thus isn’t wearing her wrestling gear.  Instead she is in more normal clothes, consisting of a knee length pink skirt, matching pink patent leather pumps, and a silky white blouse.  Her long blonde hair flows loosely and unrestrained to below her shoulders.  Walking arm in arm through the backstage area with The British Bombshell is her husband, Kurt Logan.

“So this is Supreme Championship Wrestling?  Not bad…”

“Not bad?” Braddock raises a brow. “That’s the best you got, love?”

“They put on a decent show.  I’ll give them that.” Kurt says with a smirk.  Glory, however, isn’t smiling anymore.  She frowns.  Kurt immediately starts laughing.

“Oh lighten up, babe.  I’m just giving you a hard time.”

“I figured you were, but I need to start getting serious.” Braddock retorts. “A great deal is on the line at Rise To Greatness.”

“I know, and believe me when I say that despite my bullshit earlier, I truly am impressed with the show SCW has running right now.  It somewhat reminds me of my career in the ring.  It’s almost enough to give me the itch to come back.” He leans over and kisses her on her forehead. “But no worries about that, you are the only wrestler in this family right now.”

“Yeah, at least until Melinda finishes training and turns pro.” Braddock says quietly. Kurt notices the nervousness in her voice.

“You’re still thrilled about her following in your footsteps, are you?”

“How can I be, Kurt?” Glory asks with a sigh. “Every single time I think about her training, I think back to my own relationship with my father.  I think back to how he forced this life onto me.”

Tears form in the eyes of the British Bombshell.  Kurt immediately takes her into his arms and embraces her tightly. “It’s ok, babe.  Remember, this time it’s her decision.  She made the choice of her own free will.”

“Oh I know, but it’s easier said than done when you have these terrible memories.” Glory says as she wipes some of the tears from her eyes.

“You know, you should really talk to your father about this.”

“I did.” Glory says with a sarcastic chuckle. “I really let him have it, in front of everyone at the Braddock Wrestling School.  It was somewhat embarrassing for the both of us, as a matter of fact.”

“You told me about that.” Kurt says with a grin. “But I mean sit down and really talk to him.  And by that I mean have an honest conversation where you also spend some time listening to him.  Tell me the truth, Glory; you never listened to what he had to say, did you?”

“No…” Braddock sighs and shakes her head.

“There you go.  Sit down and talk to him about these feelings you have.  It can’t be good for either of you to be holding it all in like this.”

Braddock hates to admit it but Kurt is right on the money.  She does need to deal with this problem between herself and her father, Glenn Braddock, sooner rather than later.  But she cannot do it now.  Not right now.

“I’ll have it out with dad eventually, but it has to wait until after Rise To Greatness.  You know I’m risking a lot here.”

“I know.” Kurt nods his head with a warm smile. “But that’s what I love about you.  You could’ve used this any way you wanted to try to give yourself the edge but instead you are using it to do what’s best for SCW.”

“What’s best for SCW is that Syren lose the World Championship.” Glory growls angrily.  Then as she pauses, that anger is replaced by a smirk. “Though I have to admit, it will be bloody great to win my fifteenth world championship.”

“Exactly.  And if you want to inspire your daughter, then that’s just the way to do it.”

Kurt leans in for a kiss, which Glory happily accepts.  They romantically kiss on the lips for several moments until they break.  Kurt chuckles lightly, gazing lovingly in his wife’s eyes.

“Can I have another one of those?  Maybe later tonight?  Along with some other extra curricular activities?” He winks.  Braddock snickers.

“Maybe, since you asked so nicely.”

“Well then let’s go, shall we?  Nothing keeping us here since Breakdown has ended.”

“Too true, except we need to find Melinda.  Where did you leave her?”

“Concessions.” Kurt answers. “She wanted to get some food to take back to the hotel.”

“Fair enough.  Let’s retrieve her.”

Braddock and Kurt begin immediately make a turn towards the left in the direction of the concession area.  Kurt had been making sure to lead them in that direction already, knowing that Melinda would be waiting on them there.  Thus it doesn’t take very long for them to reach the concession area.  When the pair get there, Glory scans the area but finds it virtually empty and Melinda Braddock nowhere to be found.  She turns and glares at Kurt.

“So where is she?”

“I left her right over there.” Kurt points to an empty corner. “She said she would wait there for us.”

“Bloody hell,” Glory remarks with a sigh “this is the last time I trust her!”

“Just calm down, Glory.  She probably just wandered off somewhere.”

“I can’t calm down!” Braddock exclaims. “My daughter just walked off and I don’t know where!  If she had never done it before that’d be different, but she has a history of running off!”

“Try calling her.”

“Good idea.” Braddock was in such a panic that she didn’t think of this obvious answer.  She dials her daughter’s number and waits...and waits...and waits...Braddock sighs with frustration as she finally gives up and hangs up the phone.

“No answer?”

“None.” Glory remarks.

“Still, I’m sure she’s fine.” Kurt wants to keep his wife as calm as possible but it doesn’t seem to be working.  Glory Braddock is in panic mode.  And who can blame her?  Her daughter has seemingly ran away.  The British Bombshell starts to scan the area again to see if she missed anything.  Suddenly she spots something she did overlook…

...or rather someone.  Kimberly Williams is standing not too far away from where Kurt said Melinda should have been waiting on them.  Kimberly and Glory are not close at all to one another but they are distant family.  Kimberly is the daughter of Glory’s cousin Angelica Jones.  Maybe she knows something?

It’s worth a try.

“Kimberly!” Glory says as she walks over, with Kurt in tow.  The Woman Scorned and staple gun expert grins devilishly as Braddock approaches.

“Hi, Glory!  What’s up?”

“Nothing really, Kim. And I hate to sound rude, but I can’t talk right now.  I’m looking for my daughter who apparently ran off somewhere.  Have you seen her?”

“Yeah, I remember her.” Kimberly nods her head. “She already left.”

“What?!” Glory exclaims.

“Yeah, she left with some big dude.  Bald head.  Built rather well.”

“Oh God…” Glory’s voice trails off.  That is a rather vague description, but still it fits Clyde Sutter.  Could he really have followed them here?  It isn’t that much of a stretch.  Clyde knows that Glory competes for SCW.  He would have known that they would be in Nashville.  And Melinda is enamored with him. Of course she would leave with him.  But was it really him?

“Are you ok, Glory?” Kim asks. “Your face looks pale.”

“Uh, yeah, I’ll be fine.  Thanks, Kim.”

“No probs!”  Kimberly skips away happily.  Once Kimberly is gone Braddock turns and looks at Kurt.

“We have to call the police.” Glory answers.  “You know we have to.  If this is Clyde…”

“I know,” Kurt states “and we will, but…”

Kurt is interrupted by the familiar tune of Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett.  It’s the ringtone he’s set for his phone, specifically for when Melinda calls as she loves that particular song.  Whenever that song plays from his phone, Kurt knows it’s her.  So does Glory and she immediately perks up upon hearing this.

“Hurry!  Answer the phone!  It’s Melinda!”

“On it.”

Kurt immediately takes out his phone and answers it, putting the phone to his ear. “Melinda!”

Braddock is a nervous wreck as she watches her husband speak with Melinda.  She hopes and prays that her daughter is ok and that she will come back. “It’s good to hear that you’re ok but where the hell are you?  Your mother and I are worried sick!”

Kurt’s eyes grow wide. “You’re with Clyde?!”

That’s something Braddock did not want to hear.  “You’re right I’m angry and so is your mother!  That guy is dangerous and…” Kurt sighs as he puts his phone away. He looks defeated and dejected as he gazes at his wife.

“She hung up on me. But she did confirm that Clyde was here; he picked her up and she intends to stay with him.”

It’s a mother’s worst nightmare that their daughter falls into the clutches of a predator.  Now it appears to Glory that she may have pushed her daughter straight into the clutches of a man who may very well be a predator.

“No.” Glory shakes her head vehemently. “No, no, no!”

“Come here.” Kurt embraces Glory in a tight hug.  Tears flow down both their cheeks now as they cannot contain the fear and the sorrow. “We’ll get her back.  It’ll be ok.  We’ll get her back.”

“It’s my fault…” Glory’s voice trails off.

“It’s not your fault.” Kurt says sternly. “You did not do this.”

“Didn’t I?”  Glory asks.  “I pushed her.  I pushed too much.  Now she’s gone…”


No comments:

Post a Comment